Monday, April 19, 2010

Distraction through Abstraction - Rachel

I've started to feel a bit like I'm not pushing myself, I'm falling into a comfortable pattern of posts and I'm not looking beyond my own edges and trying something new. Tonight I decided to try something, ANYTHING different and here's the result. I like the colors, the orbs and the feel of this image. I tried a couple of different crops, but was most pleased by the image as a whole. Does it say something? I'm not sure of that, but it was a foray into something new, and I'll experiment again. Tonight I hand held my camera whilst my trusty assistant hand held the container of water and oil... perhaps something more stable next time to permit a more varied exploration of what's possible.

5 comments:

  1. Rachel, abstraction of any kind, for me, becomes more pure to the mind as a whole. For what we see is truly our own personal gratification of the picture in whatever form our minds eye has seen within the shapes and colors. Truly a wonderful piece of work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Rachel for breaking through that block and recognizing that you needed to do so, I have been feeling like I have just been throwing work up since we started for the most part, but have not been able to get down to business. Too much going on and I am honoring just showing up, but it can be very frustrating. I hope something great is on the other side and when I decide to sit down with it I'll grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun piece with some of my favorite colors and shapes. Your cropping was right on. I love how the shapes are spilling off the sides as well, it makes for a beautiful interesting composition. Does it say something...? I want to go inside deeper and see what there in those softly focused blurred places. It looks safe and warm inside those areas. Maybe little portals or doors to investigate. It feels very organic to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this. Even more I love that you keep pushing yourself and trying new things. You are an inspiration in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good for you for getting out of a comfort zone - I see the excitement in this one. What a great discovery and I hope that you do more! Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete